Grace and Frankie – a great show about two mature women amid life.
Few TV shows have dynamic women as main characters, let alone two dynamic mature women. Grace and Frankie is a very welcome exception.
Why should you watch Grace and Frankie?
It’s a breath of fresh air.
- The main characters aren’t your stereotypical TV characters (insecure 20-30 year olds, desperate 40-50 year olds), but vibrant and mature women in their 70’s.
- The topics are relevant to everyone (e.g., friendship, romance and sex) but told from the perspective of those with a lot of life experience.
- They speak honestly about aging minds and bodies. The ongoing story line around vaginal dryness is very funny and is quite informative.
This show isn’t just for mature women
While the main characters are baby boomers, the story lines encompass multiple generations and have widespread appeal.
- The show’s fan base stretches across multiple generations
- The characters are a good 20 years older than me, but I don’t feel that removed from their circumstances
- Both women and men enjoy the show. In fact, my husband started watching season 3 before me.
If you haven’t seen seasons 1 and 2 of Grace and Frankie, please watch those before plunging into season 3.
Season 1 can seem a bit cliché, as if they weren’t quite sure how far they could push things. Season 2 has more depth and at least as many laughs. I am excited to see what season 3 brings.
If you want to hear more from Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, check out their TED Talk on Female Friendship.